Washington, D.C. (June 2, 2023) – The Black and Missing Foundation, Inc. (BAMFI) will hold its annual “Hope Without Boundaries” 5K walk-run this Saturday, June 3, at the National Harbor, Maryland to continue awareness of missing persons of color and provide support for their loved ones. Missing persons of color disproportionately represent nearly 40% of all missing person cases.
“What started as a passion project in our living rooms 15 years ago this month, has now grown into a national movement to help us find us,” said Founders Natalie and Derrica Wilson. “We realized early on that this is a national crisis that will take all of us working together to make the greatest impact. We are expecting a large turnout this year and believe it will send a powerful message of hope to those who are still missing, the victims and their loved ones. The event is also our largest fundraiser of the year and provides the funds to enable us to support even more families.”
The award recipients include:
- Media Supporter of the Year: WHUR 96.3 FM
- Law Enforcement Supporter of the Year: Michael Fulton of the DC Police Dept.
- Legislator of the Year: Tara Murray, Special Assistant & Dep. Dir/Office of Public Engagement to POTUS
- Business Partner of the Year: Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck
- Volunteer of the Year: Sharon Deyampert
Special guest will include Representative Ruth Richardson of Minnesota, who established the nation’s 1st office for Missing & Murdered Black Women Girls.
To learn more about the 5K and program schedule, visit HWB5K.org
Photo credit: Black and Missing Foundation